Peace

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Stevia

Credit to: http://www.lecuyersgourmet.com/2012/07/stevia.html

Stevia -   So, so easy!!  There are a few ways you can use your stevia.  Fresh leaves, dried or make an extract.  Try to use the leaves before the plant flowers or it will go to seed and become bitter.

Dry the leaves like any other herb.  Then pulverize them into a fine powder.  The rule of thumb is 1 tsp is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar!!  Stevia is 30 times sweeter than sugar!!

For fresh stevia you can actually chew on the leaves themselves, add them directly to beverages chopped up to add sweetness or use about 20 leaves to 2 cups of water and steep for about 30 minutes.  Let cool.  It is a very, very, very sweet liquid that you can add to drinks, and 4-6 drops would be about 1 tsp of sugar with 2 tbsp being about 1 cup of sugar. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to find my powered stevia! Where do you get seeds? I only lately realized I could grow it myself. Don't the stevia fairies bring it in the night?

    So many people are falling for the stevia mixed with other sugars! I am trying to educate them. I have a post started, but have procrastinated.

    ReplyDelete