Peace

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Bon appe-cheap" Cider Baked Beans

I don't know if it's because I am poor or because I am 'older' or because I'm  both old and poor and you can even toss in a little bit 'gimpy' but I  digress..... Anyways;  like simple meals and because I'm a vegetarian  and I've had  Lapband Surgery I need to put a little thought into my  meals to be sure to be getting  50-60 grams of protein in my diet.  Well this just sound delicious -and- I just so happen to have a crock-pot,  ~BUT~ before I get the the recipe, let me leave you with this amusing little 'ditty'



Cider Baked Beans

from The Frugal Life News by Donna Watkins

Recipe by: Judith Finlayson | from 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
Yield: Serves 8


Ingredients

2 cups (500 ml) assorted dried beans
2 onions, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp (10ml) chili powder
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) cracked black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick piece, about 2 inches (5 cm)
1 cup (250 ml) apple cider or juice
1 cup (250 ml) water
½ cup (125 ml) maple syrup
2 tbsp (25 ml) cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp (25 mL) cold water

Directions

1. Soak beans according to either method in Basic Beans. Drain and rinse and set aside.

2. In slow cooker stoneware, combine beans, onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, garlic, chili powder, salt, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, apple cider, water and maple syrup. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours, until beans are tender.

3. In a bowl, combine dissolved cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) hot cooking liquid from beans and stir until smooth. Gradually add up to ¼ cup (50 mL) hot bean liquid, stirring until mixture is smooth. Return mixture to stoneware and stir well until sauce thickens.

the recipe at  http://recipes.aarp.org/recipes/cider-baked-beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment