Peace

Sunday, February 6, 2011

To Die For Beans, Greens and Garlic Soup ~ Pennies Per Serving


When I first moved back to the US from Scotland my eldest son took me to a local Italian Restaurant.  I ordered The Beans and Greens, I thought I died and went to heaven.  This dish which costs mere pennies to make per serving was  $9.99 at this restaurant. Looking at the prices on the menu gave me palpitations!!!  Anyway, below is a variation of 'The Italian Beans and Greens' made into a wonderful soup. You can add less stock to turn it  back into a main dish.  


Below is the recipe for a piping hot bowl of garlicky goodness. One of the best soups to slop up with a slice of no-knead buttered bread. Enjoy!

Beans, Greens and Garlic Soup 


INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • A Gazillion cloves of garlic (or 4 or so, however many tickles your fancy), peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 cups or so of Vegan chicken flavored broth
  • 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans,drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta  ***I like to use Barley because it never gets soggy. If I decide to use a Pasta I never cook it in the soup. I cook it separately then add it to my soup per serving. I hate soggy pasta***
  • baby spinach, escarole,  green chard or other greens
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • **Shredded Parmesan/Romano Cheese Optional, I use a Vegan alternative

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onions; cook and stir until the onions are transparent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Stir in the beans and ****pasta (I cook pasta separately then add to soup bowls per serving); lower heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is al dente, or 8 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach and stir just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.



***NOTE: Unless I am making bread, cake or cookies I never measure ANYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment