Peace

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rice: The Great Food Stretcher

Basic White Rice
2 cups water
1 cup rice
1tspn salt (optional)

Bring water & salt to boil, add rice and cover with lid. Turn heat down to low. Simmer for 15 min. Remove from heat & fluff rice with a fork.

NOTE:  I just found these recipes so have not tried them yet. I have made similar out of my own imagination, I just didn't have recipes below.  These look VERY close.

Easy Mexican Rice:
1/4 cup + 2 TBspn oil
2 cups uncooked rice
2 tspn garlic salt
1 tspn cumin
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup tomato sauce ( I prefer diced tomatos)
4 cups chicken broth ( I am vegetarian so I would use veggie broth)

Heat oil over med. heat, add rice. Cook until puffed & golden. Sprinkle with garlic & cumin. Stir in onions, cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce & broth. Brink to boil, reduce to low. Simmer 20-25 minutes.

Cafe Rio Rice:
1/2 bunch cilantro ( I've used dried when fresh is not available)
1 can green chilies 4 oz.
1/2 onion - chopped
4 cups of water
4 tspn chicken bullion
4 tspn garlic -minces
1/4 tspn salt ( I omit)
1 tbspn butter (or oil)
2 cups rice

Blent cilantro, green chilis & onion in food processor, Bring water to boil & add all ingredient. Simmer covered 30 minutes.

Mock Chipotle Rice:
2 cups rice
3 cups boiling water
1 bay leaf
1/3 cups cilantro -chopped
1/3 tspn salt ( I personally would use less)
2 1/2 tspn lemon or lime  juice
1/4 cup oil

Rince rice. Cook rice in boiling water with bay leaf for 20 min. Take off the heat. Remove bay leaf, add oil & fluff. Wait 5-7 minutes. Put rice in mixing bowl. Add Cilantro and mix. Add juice and salt. Mix & Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment